Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Free Choice- No Place Like Home

I recently took a trip out West to San Diego California, to go visit one of my good friends. So recently in fact, that I just got back today. For the past few weeks I have doing nothing but look forward to being away from my two kids, away from my job, away from school...away from it all. Being on vacation in the wonderful world of California, and beautiful town of San Diego seemed like just what I needed to help ease my mind and "escape my own reality." The funny this is, that as soon as I landed down in San Diego...I wished that my kids were with me. Although I had a lot of fun camping and drinking in the dessert with my friends, or hiking up mountains...and of course I loved shopping without one of my kids pulling on the bottom of my shirt begging "Mommy...can I PLEASE have this", but in all reality, I think that most of us try to escape reality, only to realize that where we are in life, is exactly where we are meant to be. As much as I thought that a break or time away from everything and everyone was what I needed to "zen" and re-group...I realized that my kids help me re-group and keep me positive. As much as I loved sittin on the beach, with only myself, I would much rather be at home with my kids, or have them with me. Instead of being out at a club with my friends in San Diego, I would have much rather been at a museum, or at a park with my kids. Although vacation should be for relaxation and require no thought at all, I found myself more anxious as each day passed to get home, and thought constantly about my kids, what they were doing, how their day at school went, etc. I guess long story short, vacations are great...people do need time to relax and escape their own reality...but maybe instead of trying to escape reality, we should embrace it. Instead of running off to an expensive place to try to "find" our answers to our lifes problems, maybe we should stay at home and try to make peace within our place of living...learn to apprecaite what is around us, and who is around us. In the words of Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, there truely is "no place like home", and I am happy to be here!

1 comment:

  1. Sweet post, Kristen. This is the same thing that my friends (with kids) experience when they leave home.

    ReplyDelete